National Security Day
Every year 4th March is celebrated as National Security Day. The day is observed to raise awareness about workplace safety measures and protocols. With the number of workplace incidents that have resulted in many losing their precious lives, there is a need to raise awareness about safety and protective measures at workplaces. This article provides all the information about National Security Day including its theme, history and significance.
National Security Day History
The day was first organized by the Ministry of Labor and Employment in Delhi on 11-13 December 1965 in the presence of President Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. Since the establishment of the National Security Council of India in 1971, the day is celebrated on March 4 every year.
Theme of National Security Day
Here is a list of themes for National Security Day over the years.
|Theme of National Security Day 2023||Reducing accidents in the workplace|
|Theme of National Security Day 2022||Nurture young minds – develop a safety culture|
|Theme of National Security Day 2021||Road safety|
|Theme of National Security Day 2020||Cultivating and sustaining a safety culture for nation building|
Significance of National Security Day 2023
Here is the significance of National Security Day.
- To take the Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) movement to different parts of the country.
- To obtain the participation of key people at various levels in various industrial sectors.
- Encouraging the use of a participatory approach by employers involving their employees in SHE activities.
- Promote the development of needs-based activities in the workplace, self-compliance with statutory requirements and professional SHE management systems.
- Inclusion of voluntary SHE movement areas, which have not been covered by legislation so far.
- Remind employers, employees and others of their responsibility to make the workplace safe.
- Developing a positive safety culture in the workplace.
Activities to be done on the occasion of National Security Day
Here is a list of activities you can witness on National Safety Day.
- Public events, seminars, discussions and debates, appeals/messages.
- Safety pledges to be observed by employees. Design, develop and distribute model text of security pledges through NSC.
- Organizing Safety Competitions – Essay, Declaration, Poster, Housekeeping, Safety Demonstration etc.
- Holding exhibitions
- Screening of security films in units/staff colonies.
- Demonstration of PPE/fire fighting etc.
- Conducting emergency drills.
- Installation of mobile exhibition.
- Organization of award distribution ceremony.
- Inviting distinguished guest speakers.
- Conducting community awareness programs.